Sunday, August 22, 2010

Santana, This Bud’s For You

After watching Jose Tabata’s solo home run clear the left field fence on Sunday to give the Pirates a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the sixth inning, I headed to my fridge and reached for a beer…and why not, Johan Santana has managed to complete three consecutive games that have resulted in just one victory and, believe it or not, two losses. I feel for the guy. “This one’s for you, buddy.”

As much as it may be eating him up inside, the Mets ace left-hander never seems to show it. After the game, when speaking with the media, words to the effect of “it's just another game, I made a mistake, and home runs are part of the game,” have satisfied Santana’s ego. However, and I can only speak for myself, witnessing this type of futility has forced me to drink myself into oblivion. Hoping that when I wake up this whole wasted season was just a false version of reality.

“When we look back at the end of the season, we’ll see a lot of missed opportunities with him (meaning Santana).” I couldn’t have said it better myself, thanks Frenchy for clarifying that…maybe that’s why Rod Barajas didn’t hesitate to bolt for Los Angeles when he was given the chance (Barajas was picked up on waivers Sunday and traded to the Dodgers for cash), at least the Wilpons got something of value in return…it’s obvious that they’ve been hard-up for money these days, but that’s a story for another day.

Not to stray too far off-course, the Mets can still salvage the remaining thirty-eight games of the season and attempt to finish off 2010 on a decent note (if finishing above .500 can be considered ‘salvaging.’)

As for missed opportunities, with this Mets offense, it’s unavoidable. Pretty much par for the course at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment